Hollow Tree Candle Co. is born from a passion to express the beauty of the Pacific Northwest through scent… and a dream that in doing so, attention will be drawn to its preservation and to that of the rest of the world. Inspired by the majestic forests, our eco friendly handmade coconut wax candles are hand forged in Whistler, British Columbia.
Using only the finest ingredients and making the educated decision to use coconut wax rather than soy or paraffin, every effort has gone into creating a product that is not only environmentally and eco friendly, but created with the environment in mind.
Hollow Tree fragrance oils are blended in Grasse, France and are made purely from plant distillation.
Our packaging is sustainable, using recycled papers… not trees, and the trademarked ceramic vessel is made of sand particles that can be easily broken down into the soil, which helps aerate your plants.
Hollow Tree has made a commitment to create a handmade product that not only gives to the consumer in an ethical way, but with the environment and nature as the core of our ethos.
The Magic of Our Jars
Our eco friendly candle jars are re-useable and recyclable, the jar is an inert clay material and is also strong and relatively lightweight, presenting an attractive container for storing many small items around the house.
The jar can also be cleaned and is dishwasher safe for deep cleaning. We have used the jars for small succulent planters, drinking glasses and also have grown cedar seedlings in them for transplant.
The jars can also be refilled with either a tealight or wax and fragrance of your choice for further enjoyment as a candle.
While ceramic is not recycled everywhere in the province, there are some depots that accept ceramic and send it to a recycling facility where it is ground to dust again and sold to ceramic makers creating new products.
A home alternative for recycling is to use a hammer or other heavy object and smash and crush the material into small fragments and use it in a garden as a conditioner for you soils.
In our handmade candles we use only the finest cotton wicks paired with our superior proprietary eco friendly white coconut wax and brought to life with premium custom blends of fragrance and essential oils from the birthplace of scent in Grasse, France.
- Always keep a burning candle within sight, do not place a candle in draft places, or directly on glass, wooden or marble surfaces. Never leave your candle unattended and never move your candle while it is already ignited,
- Always burn on a flat surface and keep off of forest floors, extinguish all candles upon leaving the hollows of tree or a room.
- Keep burning candles away from anything that could be at risk or flammable. This includes natures precious creatures such as Kermode Bears, Grey Wolves and Ravens within forest groves or on our beloved trails.
- Keep candles out of reach of your pets or little ones.
- Do not burn a candle for longer than 4 hours and wicks should be trimmed to 1/4 inch each time before burning.
- Enjoy your stargazing and love making in the Pacific Northwest.
Additional Safety: Remove candle from box and keep separate when burning candle. Place candle on a non-flammable surface or on a plate during burning particularly when the wax depth is less than one inch.
For your candles to provide the best experience:
- Because we use eco friendly coconut wax, which doesn’t get as hot as other waxes (paraffin and soy), we ask that you only trim the wick when wick is longer than 1/4 inch.
- Do not trim the wick between burning times unless it is longer than 1/4 inch or has a mushroom top. The wick can be very brittle after burning and prone to breaking off shorter than 1/4 inch; a short wick can be a problem in subsequent burns.
- Keep candle lit each time until melt pool covers almost all of the surface area or reaches the sides of the vessel.
- Do not burn the candle more than 4 hours at a time.
- Keep debris out of the melt pool.
- Do not burn candle when wax depth is less than 1 centimetre (3/8th inch) this is because the bottom of the jar can get quite hot during the final burn, even when less than four hours.
Our eco friendly packaging (the black presentation box) can be reused as a storage box for various dry items, or as a desk top for pens or painting brushes etc.
If a second use is not possible the boxes, labels and care cards are made 100 percent of post-consumer fibres. The box, label and care cards can be recycled together with other paper and printed packaging, using collection or drop off depots available in many communities in Canada.
In most cases, such collected fibre is recycled in to new products reducing the need for new harvesting of trees for first use pulp and paper.